Thursday 3 September 2015

Naomi Natters: Top Short Books for the busy Reader


So this is a new feature for me, and my 'Naomi Natters' posts are gonna be a little more lifestyle-based than my usual fashion and beauty. Hopefully these give you a bit more of a window into my life and me as a person (if that's what you want!) If this is something you lovely lot aren't liking much, though, let me know and I'll try and adjust things accordingly! So grab a cup of tea or coffee and here we go with Naomi Natters #1!

Anyone who knows me knows full well that I'm an avid reader, and always try to find time to read and get lost in a good book, but something I'm asked more and more frequently is how I do this, and if I can recommend any good books for people who don't quite have all the time in the world and fancy a lightweight read on the way into work, or that can be easily managed in half hour chunks before falling asleep, so I thought I'd compile a list of ten short books for the busy reader:


The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I absolutely had to start with my favourite, and there's no questioning Fitzgerald in my mind. He paints a beautifully rich picture of the 1920s party scenes alongside representing an array of strongly defined characters who grip your interest. How so much can be packed into so few pages astounds me. A real page-turner, I enjoyed this so much that I completed it on a train journey!


 Persuasion - Jane Austen

The shortest of Austen's major novels, this is a great read if you've never read her work before, particularly if it scares you a little! The storyline is simple, yet enchanting, and the satirical nature of Austen's work is, arguably, clearest in Persuasion, adding humour to the romance as you get lost in a simpler, beautiful period of balls and marriages.

 Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Shelley's gothic novel is fascinating, as the split narrative bridges the world between supernatural and reality, causing conflict in the reader as you battle with your own emotions to reason who to side with! The concept seems so modern that it's scarcely believable that this wasn't written during the vampire and werewolf surge in about 2011, and it makes for an easy read if you aren't into heavy, old novels.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J. K. Rowling
Honestly, if you haven't yet had a chance to read the Harry Potter series, I recommend you do it as soon as possible. Regardless of age, these books are a really great read, and you'll pick up on lots of things left out of the films! I apologise now if you turn into a raging Potterhead like myself, but that really is no bad thing!

 On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan
A stunning work of 'what if?', this compact novella features detailed flashbacks as a newlywed couple awkwardly attempt to live their first night of marriage. Illustrating the divide in class and a time of silenced opinion, this is a favourite of mine which always leaves me in tears!

 The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde
Okay,  so perhaps I'm cheating a little here as this is actually a play, but it's so wonderfully witty that I really couldn't leave it off the list! Wilde's talent for highlighting the ridiculous through each and every exaggerated character creates a true masterpiece of theatre - there's also a damn good film adaptation, but read the play first - it's worth it!

 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
I first read this book when taking AS level English Literature at school, and I'll admit I wasn't a fan at the time. Since then, however, I have come to appreciate the raw beauty of this novella with its strong narrative voice guiding you along the journey, serving as a window into a world sadly little talked about in the modern day. Definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment