Tuesday 4 October 2016

Eleanor and Park: Review



Okay, I appreciate I'm most likely the LAST PERSON IN THE WORLD to read this book, but I finally got around to it recently and I am so glad I did!

Although I doubt anyone is as behind the times as myself, in case you haven't read it, the book centres around high school students Eleanor and Park (who'd have thought?) and their first love, complicated by not only the usual high school issues of bullying, but by larger issues of poverty and hints of domestic abuse. Against this background of chaos, love fuelled by music, comic books, and the classic teenage feelings of not fitting in burns through for the pair.

Rainbow Rowell (what a name) has an easy, friendly style that meant it's pretty easy to practically flick through this book, and it's on the short side if bigger books aren't your thing, which means it's also light and easy to chuck in your bag if (like me) you spend a lot of time on public transport.

If you're a fan of the classic coming-of-age novel, books that make your eyes water, or Romeo-and-Juliet-esque first love stories, this is a must-read.

Both characters had relatable elements for me, which made my love for both characters and my hatred for those against them all the stronger as the book went on, and meant that I was a blubbering, quivering wreck when I finished it at 4am on a Wednesday morning, feeling for the pair and with the pair with all of my being.

You really can't put a score or rating on a book that touches you like this has touched myself and many others, so I'd definitely give it a 10/10...I only wish it had been longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment